Monday 24 November 2014

Advice: You are not entitled to give unsolicited advice.

Today is a good day. The hubs is home from work, Thing 1 is at school and Thing 2 is home with dad napping. I have the afternoon to myself with the car. So amazing. I did a couple of errands, checked out a new toy store and mailed some letters. To finish off the afternoon I went to pick up a 2 liter of pop for the hubs. Now when I am alone without kids I take my time looking at everything, even if it is a corner store. I know weird. I get a kick of checking out expiry dates, thick layers of dust, and price mark-ups. So, as I was in front of the beverage case I took my time looking at all the ridiculous brands of caffeine drinks. I even took out a few drinks to read some labels and questionable ingredients. I can feel the corner store owner watching me like a hawk. I don't blame her but it is still frustrating as I have never even shop lifted in my life.

 I take up the 2 litre of pop and place it on the counter. She looks at me then looks at the 2 litre. Then looks at me again. I have my fiver ready in my hand to pay when she says, "You were looking at the healthy drinks, why are you getting this one?" To which I replied, "What healthy drinks?" She then said, You know the juices and water." I replied with a deadpan mono-toned voice, "Would you prefer I get water or juice instead?" She said, "Well, those are healthier choices." I then said, "I have a question for you; if I was an average-sized person would you have asked me that same question?" Brazenly she said, "No, probably not." I did not say anything else and I just walked out.

Sorry hubs, no pop for you. 

This is just a cautionary tale on how our society so easily discriminates. Like rape culture, there is a new wave of fat shaming culture that needs to obviously stop. What I eat, wear, read, learn, say or love is not up for voiced observations, advice, debates or public scrutiny. Can't a fat girl get some pop without the talk? Everyone thinks they are experts on everyone elses' lives, time to take an inventory of your own.

Judge less, love more. Bless them, change me. Other people's opinions of me are none of my business.

HUGS and Shit

The MOMMA  <3
                                        I hate Peta for the unethical treatment of real human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment