Wednesday 14 January 2015

Uncouth? N'est-ce pas?

SO I have a weird little thing I like to do, I like to read comments on message boards on controversial topics and sometimes some not so controversial topics. I find it strangely fascinating. I sometimes comment and it is usually on the topic of fat-shaming, body nonacceptance or something along those lines. I responded to a fella tonight and this is what I got:

Re: Naked jogger spotted on Coquitlam trail



Random Dude: "Some people do nekkid polar-bear swims... some people are less public about it and prefer to just run nekkid in the freezing cold forest. I think those who noticed this man should just be thankful he was young, slim and wearing earbuds. He coulda been 150 pounds overweight and carrying a 20 pound, 30 watt boom-box. :-)"

Me: "Why with the weight comments? Unnecessary."

Random Dude: Courtney Catt-Cam Unnecessary? Yes. You're quite right,
I'm not wrong though... although I certainly could have chosen a more "sensitive" metaphor.
I suppose I could apologize... might even be polite to do so insincerely... but I won't: I'm often effed-over for what people see in my own disability. If I've got skin thick enough to be a happy fellow anyhow, so should everyone else, no? Lighten up. (no, that's not a weight reference) I don't get bent over jokes about "cripples"... in fact, I sorta think people oughta get hip to people like
http://www.callahanonline.com/index.php."

Me: "Bizarre response. I just like to call people on their shitty behavior that is all."

(He changed his above response a million times...)
Me: I will not stop calling people on their shit. It is not cool to shame people of different cultures, religions, sexual orientation, sexual identity, disabilities, diseases etc so why is it ok to shame people who are overweight? If we change our language, call people out, and care about those around us; the people who fat shame will one day be seen just as uncouth as the ignorant gay shaming person. Oh and for the record, fat shaming someone does not help their plight, in fact, it does the opposite. 



Random Dude: "Please feel free to "call me on my shit". I'm no one special and you've every right there is to tell me you disagree with me. Still, I wasn't "shaming" anyone: I simply took a common metaphor everyone understands and applied it where people would get the point. You're perfectly right that people will often see that as pejorative... but what would *you* have me say instead to prevent others' assumptions and biases getting in the way of clarity?"
 


Me: "Your words" I think those who noticed this man should just be thankful he was young, slim and wearing earbuds. He coulda been 150 pounds overweight..." Your comments blatantly express that overweight is undesirable therefore shedding negative light on overweight therefore fat-shaming language. You know what I love? I got to you, this is good. I like to make people think. It will make you think twice next time on your crappy metaphors because someone else might call you on it, maybe even publicly. ;) I love it when people who are in the wrong jump to the "lighten up" argument. Classic.
I am done, thanks for the weird debate. Cheers!"

Well I let him get the last response, he seems like that sort of person...

Random Dude:": "blatantly express that overweight is undesirable therefore shedding negative light on overweight" I offer no defense. You're right. I just hope you never have to be heckled in a comedy club... or worse, have to suffer the abuse of a good comedian if you heckle them like this. Your stridency hurts your cause, love. Lighten up. :-)"

LOL his last comments was a big fat "There, there dear".

Well you can't change things by being soft I am afraid. Shit gets done when truths are said. -Said by anyone who moved and shook the world ever.

Well that was fun.

HUGS & Shit
The Momma


No comments:

Post a Comment