Sunday 1 March 2015

Naked at the Jimjilbang!

I recently watched a hilarious video of Conan O'Brien (Late night talk show host) and Steven Yeun (Actor - Walking Dead) having a lovely time at a Jimjilbang in L.A. If you have not seen it, click on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k70xBg8en-4

I shared this video on my Facebook wall and noted I would love to try it sometime. Someone called my bluff. Well, it wasn't entirely a bluff, but I never thought someone I knew would be a frequent jimjilbang user. For those who have not watched the video yet; a jimjilbang is a Korean spa where you are naked. It is like a public bathouse and a community hub. So little did I know I have a few friends that have done it before and that there is a jimjilbang in my neighbouring city; a ten minute drive from my house. Shut the front door! I had to go. My pal Blennifer and I went on Saturday night and I have to say I am hooked.

Now for anyone who reads my posts knows I am a big gal and I love my body but this was going to be a good test; to be naked in front of friends and strangers. I was committed and a little freaked out I must admit. Thank goodness I had Blennifer to show me the ways of the jimjilbang!

We get to JJ's Family Spa and pay our entrance, only $15/person! They gave us shorts, shirt, towels, and a key for a locker. They had tea, drinks, showering paraphernalia, mud masks, towels, freezer slushy things, food to order etc. You could get your nails done or have additional spa treatments. The floors were heated too! We got to our lockers and changed into the JJ spa's issued clothing and headed to the heat saunas. First the Earth room, where I cooked like a sausage and sweated my life away. We then headed to the Charcoal room to cool off and reap the benefits of charcoal. We then headed to the hot Salt room and sweated a liter or two. We drank water, chatted and enjoyed the hot rooms and conversations. So awesome.

We then headed back to our lockers and got "buck" as Blennifer puts it. I was anxious. Seeing Jennifer just strip down with no qualms I pushed my self and said fuck it. Whatever, it is my awesome body, who cares. And wouldn't you know it, after being naked for all of 20 seconds I was over it. We headed to the showers, hot tub, steam room, dry sauna and cold tub. BLISS! We met up with a mutual friend Bleah and she gave us scrubber mits and a face mask. So kind. I showered, I shaved, I gave myself a super scrub. I saunaed, hot tubbed and spent time in a shower where no one was asking me for food or a book or ask me to break up a toddler
fight. It was funking amazing. I took in total 4 full body dips in the freezing cold water. It was so invigorating jumping in to the hot tub to cold tub. We spent... drumrollll............ clash bang! crash! 4 hours at the spa. Did I mention it was only $15?!

I am hooked. It was another sweet personal milestone to furthering my body acceptance.

If you want to go, lemme know and I will show you the ways of the jimjilbang!

HUGS and SCRUBS
The Momma
                                         They removed my skin and now I want to sleep forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment