Thursday 28 August 2014

Why I am not taking the $40...

Everything is so up in the air... I hope it gets resolved - fast.

Disclaimer: There are NO judgements on who and or why you are going or not going to take the $40/day but here are my very personal reasons for not wanting to take the $40/day.
  • I am in a fortunate situation where I have a home-based business and I am a stay-at-home mom therefore I do not need the money for what it is intended for, even though it could help us in these financially tricky times. Having said that I have some clients who have teachers as parents and they might not renew their contacts with me due to not being able to pay the mortgage.
  • I do not want to take Christy Clark's bribe - dirty money
  • The money is taxable income
  • A horrible band-aid solution and tactic for a very big mess
  • What the provincial government is doing is illegal as the classroom size issue has gone to court not once but twice and the they are not holding up their end of the court appointed deal. It is like the deadbeat parent not paying child support. 
  • The compensation is a slap in the face to what is really being missed out on
  • The approx $12 million/day spent could be saved and invested for future education budgets
  • The $40/day ploy divides the parents and the teachers - just what Christy wants
  • It was never supposed to be my money in the first place
  • All other provinces spend more money on the kids than does BC
  • By the time BC kids finish grade twelve, the kind government of BC will have spent $13,000 less than any other province for their education.
  • Every other province goes to binding arbitration when there is a dispute with teachers. BC does not. Clark does not think it is "necessary".
  • No other province has ever bribed parents to keep their kids home from school. BC has.
  • No other government has talked about the "affordability zone" while making sure that MLA salaries increase by 70% and personal assistants by astronomical amounts in the past five years.
 Now that I have said what I have said please I do not judge anyone for taking the money. You do what you have to do and you have your very justified reasons for doing so I am sure! In fact, my husband and I disagree on this and he is applying for the money despite my arguments. My husband assures me that the $40/day will go into an RESP. I still do not feel good about it though.

I welcome comments! And don't feel like you have to justify to me about taking the money, we all have our reasons! Also, I am not on any high horses here! Me (trying) not taking the money is my own personal stand.

Hugs & Shit

The Momma


No comments:

Post a Comment